|165 Broadhurst Gardens London philsbook.com|
The building in Broadhurst Gardens London NW6 started off as The Falcon Works, an engineering company and was converted to a recording studios in 1933 for Crystalate Records. In 1937 the company was bought out by Decca and Broadhurst Gardens became the company's third and final home base. The building housed three main studios.
Decca Studio One was straight ahead as you entered the building, the control room upstairs above the studio, accessible by a steep flight of stairs. Decca Studio Two was downstairs, and Studio 3 down a long corridor to the back of the building.
1967 - Decca Studio One, was equipped with a custom, 20-channel, wrap-around console, 15-inch Tannoy monitors in Lockwood cabinets, and a Studer J37 four-track tape machine, Ampex half-inch four-track.
“The live area did have swinging panels, where we could have a hardwood surface or absorbent wall tiles, yet part of the key to the sound there was the echo chamber on the roof — there was another one for Studio Two, but none for the big Studio Three, which had been built in 1961 or 1962 and was a bit of a failure. Because of multitrack, there were also four EMT echo plates in the basement that could be switched between Studio One and Studio Two, and we had to plug them in to tie lines, as we did for the echo chambers. That meant there were six echo sources for the two studios, and another pair were installed for the remix room that was very close to Studio Three".
Tony Clark - Sound on Sound 2009.
The Bing Crosby sessions in July 1976 Studio 3 Pictured is producer Kevin Daly on the left, engineer Martin Smith on the right and Crosby's son and manager between them. You can see Crosby in the distance through the glass, in the centre of the picture. To the right of him is guitarist and composer Bryan Daly, and further right is Trevor Tomkins on drums.
The Bing Crosby sessions in July 1976 Studio 3
Pictured is producer Kevin Daly on the left, engineer Martin Smith on the right and Crosby's son and manager between them. You can see Crosby in the distance through the glass, in the centre of the picture. To the right of him is guitarist and composer Bryan Daly, and further right is Trevor Tomkins on drums.
Threshold Studios - The Moody Blues.
In 1974 The Moody blues took over Decca Studios One changing the name to Threshold Studios. The control became the first Westlake designed studio in the UK, but the playing area was left largely as it had been for the previous 20 years with the exception of adding the once popular idea of a drum booth.
Threshold equipment in 1976 included:
3M M79 tape machines
2x EMT plates 2x AKG BX 20s Cooper time cube Pandora Digi delay Master Room reverb Urei 1176
With the sale of Decca to Polygram, the studios were closed in 1980 and the building (renamed Lilian Baylis House) became rehearsal rooms for the English National Opera.
Also see : Decca Studios - Tollington Park
Many thanks to Martin Haskell for the Colour Decca Pictures
|Many thanks to Michael Daly for the use of his picture archives.|
|Michael's excellent site about his father, producer Kevin Daly can be found by clicking on the link below.|
165 Broadhurst Gardens
Studio 2 - 1967
Studio 1 with the control room upstairs looking down on to the studio area.
Martin Haskell & Kevin Daly
Peter Handford and Kevin Daly
The Custom Console from Studio 3 - 1979
Recorded at Decca Studios